I have worked in a variety of settings and capacities empowering individuals to overcome their challenges:
- My resume includes jobs with diverse populations in settings ranging from an acute psychiatric crisis ward to vocational rehabilitation sites.
- Since I launched my Life Coaching practice out of my garage in 2008, I have had the honor of working closely with many individuals and their families to realize their unique pictures of success.
- I am a longtime proponent of the Independent Living (IL) movement, serving six years on the State Independent Living Council (SILC) and offering a variety of services through a local IL center.
- I volunteer my time at a local community counseling site, where I work with clients individually and facilitate/co-facilitate groups in mindful parenting, anxiety and depression, and men's issues.
- I co-founded a disability rights activist (ADAPT) chapter in Oregon, and continue to seek opportunities to make a positive impact in the lives of Oregonians discriminated against due to their disabilities.
- I wrote a book, "Beyond the Horizon: Redefining Potential After Brain Injury," and delivered related workshops and presentations at conferences around the country.
- I developed a mind/body adaptive martial arts program and led related workshops around the country.
I grew up alongside an older brother on the autism spectrum and spent much of my childhood volunteering with programs he was involved in. Then at age 12, I was hit by a semi-truck and sustained a severe traumatic brain injury. The next fifteen years of my life were host to a long string of successes and setbacks dealing with those challenges. Near the end of those fifteen years, I was introduced to martial arts, through which I gained confidence and learned to move in ways I had before considered "out of my league." As my physical body grew stronger and more agile, so too did my mental and spiritual faculties. Since then, I have continued to seek new opportunities to improve my skill set. The satisfaction that comes with hard work and dedication has become for me the ultimate joy in life.